Monday, December 21, 2015

Holiday Eggnog





Eggnog is probably the most famous Holiday season drink in America. Every year, just before Thanksgiving, farms stands and supermarkets start selling a variety of eggnogs. I have a few favorite store bought versions, but nothing beats your own eggnog made at home.   With the home-made version you can also fine tune the flavor and adjust the sweetness and the creaminess to your liking. Over the years, it has become my husbands job to make eggnog for the holiday celebrations, mostly because eggnog is his favorite.

One year we spent Christmas in Japan and my husband made our eggnog there.  My family loved it especially my mother.  Since then it has become a tradition for us and we always look back at our Christmas in Japan.

My husband and I usually drink the first cup of eggnog straight, but then we add a little bit of rum for the second cup. Drinking our eggnog always lifts my spirits while I am hectically preparing for Christmas dinner each year!


Holiday Eggnog

  • 3 raw pasteurized eggs (we use store bought pasteurized eggs that we can get at the Japanese grocery store.  You can make your own by following the correct directions and heating the eggs to over 141 F for a specified time.)
  • 240cc whole milk
  • 240cc heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • a pinch of nutmeg
  • rum, if youd like


1.  Add all of the ingredients in a blender.




2.  Blend until all are incorporated well and serve in your favorite holiday glass!  Serve with rum or extra nutmeg sprinkled on top according to your taste!


* You can even add a dollop of gourmet vanilla ice-cream to your eggnog.  This is a favorite for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment